Celebrate Tequila Day! 5 Things You Didn’t Know About Your Fave Drink
Not that we ever need an excuse to drink one of our favourite spirits, but National Tequila Day is coming up and we thought we best celebrate! So we’ve put together a list of facts that you may not have known about tequila (and even a cheeky cocktail idea). Enjoy!
Where it’s made matters
To be considered authentic tequila, it must be made in Mexico! The blue agave plant that tequila is made from is grown in Mexico, and would you have guessed it, primarily in the surrounding area of the town of Tequila. The Tequila Volcano provides red volcanic soil suited for growing blue agave. Thank you Tequila!
It was a cure…
…and no, we aren’t talking about just being the cure for a messy breakup. During the 1918 influenza pandemic tequila, salt and lime were prescribed by Mexican doctors to treat flu symptoms. Obviously now we prefer medication over alcohol, but there are still a few myths surrounding the health benefits of tequila to this day such as weight loss, aiding digestion and increasing bone density. This is mainly thanks to the raw ingredient of agave – not the alcohol itself. Sorry team, it’s not looking like tequila is the new era of medicine!
There are types of tequila
At Double Dutch we like to elevate the drinking experience, playing with unique flavour pairings. So we pay particular attention to the types of spirits we drink. Take tequila for example, did you know that there are different types that can be defined by three main categories?
- Blanco tequila is freshly distilled so has no oak flavours. Enjoy the stronger notes of agave that come through.
- Reposado tequila is matured in a cask for between two to twelve months. We get slight vanilla and caramel flavours along with other sweet, woody notes.
- Anejo tequila has been aged for one to three years! We get richer, deeper, smokier, notes with this darker tequila.
So, which one is your fave?
It’s great in cocktails
We all love (or love to hate) a tequila shot. Party drink of choice, most of us have enjoyed a messy birthday with this one. However, in gulping it down we don’t always get to enjoy the flavour. You may not have tried it before, but tequila is actually delicious mixed and in cocktails. Don’t believe us? We have one here for you to try that we like to call Triple Tokyo….
- Pour 50ml Don Julio Blanco into a cocktail shaker with plenty of ice
- Add 25ml fresh lime juice, 12.5ml sugar syrup
- Pour 40ml tepache (here’s a simple recipe that will impress all your friends)
- Shake well until the exterior is cool
- Strain into a glass over plenty of ice
- Top with Double Dutch Indian Tonic Water and 2 dashes of grapefruit bitters
- Garnish with a slice of lime
Or if cocktail making isn’t for you, we have the perfect recipe to savour that will keep you out of the kitchen. It’s super tasty and quick so you can focus on having fun!
- Pour 50ml tequila in a glass over ice
- Add Double Dutch Pomegranate & Basil Mixer
- Garnish with pomegranate seeds
Now that we have you dreaming of those flavourful cocktails, take a look at our range of mixers & tonics for the perfect tequila companion.